Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, June 24, 2019

Replacing the battery on my 2015 Ducati Scrambler

Where does the time go?  I went to take the Scrambler for a ride the other day.... hit the starter button and click, click, click.  Then I realized I've had this bike 4 years.  Probably time for a new battery.




Pulling out the OEM battery is pretty straight forward. In this photo the rubber strap that holds the battery down is already pulled loose.

Next step is to remove the plastic cover that sits on top of the battery.  One 4mm allen screw is all that holds the cover in place.

Remove the negative cable first.  I have a stubby 10mm Gear Wrench that works great. Once the negative cable is removed you can slide the battery over to get to the positive cable.  The same 10mm wrench was used to remove the positive cable.

Both cables are removed and battery is ready to pull out. Be very careful that the cables don't accidently come in contact with the terminals or you cause a spark from arching.

I found a new battery at batteries plus bulbs.  Is it the best?  Probably not, but they had the correct size in stock, charged and ready to go.  I'll report later on how it performs over the long run.

Photo is after the battery installed.  Those with eagle eyes will notice that I forgot to hook up the battery tender harness.  After I discovered my error it was a one minute fix.  Also note that the hold down strap is not connected in the photo.  I connected it before starting the bike. Yes, it started right up after the new battery was installed.  Now I have to reset the clock and trip-meter.  Modern bikes!

No comments:

Post a Comment