Search This Blog

Translate

Monday, July 27, 2020

AMMEX motorcycle print ad from the 1979s

AMMEX motorcycles were started by Gary Jones.  Made in Mexico they were built from the ashes of  Islo powered Cooper motorcycles.  I raced against Gary Jones at Corona Raceway's TT track not long after he started AMMEX.  They let him race against us amateurs because even though he was a 3 time National Moto-Cross Champion he was not familiar with TT and he was on a MX bike.  He smoked me and everyone else in the race.  I still remember how he attacked the corners like a motocrossers (pivoting at the apex of the corner then launching to the next corner.  Way different sliding through corners like us flat trackers.


3 comments:

  1. I raced one TT on a Maico and even though I tried my very best I was passed by a real big fat guy on a Honda XL500.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi i have purchased a early 70s Bombadair Bandit cross , and need some parts , know of any guys you might have any ? thanks IAN.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you mean Bombardier Bantam Cross. Is it like a mini-bike? If so, I think these may have been made by Garelli and badged as a Bombardier. Try looking for Garelli parts. I think you'll find them more plentiful. Good luck.

      Delete