Search This Blog

Translate

Wednesday, September 9, 2020

Danny LaPorte signed collage with bonus mystery signature

The collage below was given to me several years ago by Ron Pomeroy.  I think it was signed at a Hall of Fame ceremony for Danny LaPorte.  LaPorte was the first American to win a World Motocross Championship.  I came across this recently while looking through my motorcycle files and noticed the mystery signature.  If this sheet was honoring Danny LaPorte why would someone else sign it?  The signature appeared to read Smits 45.  So I took to the internet to solve the mystery.



With a little searching I found that Smits 45 was Rik Smits, the center for the Indiana Pacers Basketball Team.  His professional career spanned from 1988 to 2000.  He was 7'4" and wore #45 for the Pacers.



But why would a professional basketball player be at a Hall of Fame induction for Danny LaPorte.  It turns out the Rik Smits' other love was motorcycles.  The sport was too much of an injury risk during his basketball career, but when he retired he took up motocross.



This is 7'4" Riks Smits in his size 21 motocross boots racing what I assume is an open class Maico.  


In 2019 I snapped this photo of Rik Smits at the Mecum Motorcycle Auction in Las Vegas.  I didn't make the connection then, but now I know that in addition to racing he has an extensive motorcycle collection.  He's now my favorite basketball player of all time.

1 comment: